WHEN: Tuesday, April 5, 2016 at 9:00 AM - Wednesday, April 6, 2016 at 5:00 PM (EDT) - Add to Calendar
WHERE: Athol Congregation Church - 1225 Chestnut Street Athol, MA 01331 - View Map
HOSTED BY: Athol Congregational Church, UCC and the Brookfield Institute
REGISTRATION: Free for veterans; $27.37 general admission. Tickets available here.
Does your faith community or other organization want to better understand the experience of veterans and their families?
Do you see our veterans’ journey home from war as a shared responsibility and an opportunity to walk alongside them in their return?
This workshop — FREE for veterans — will build on the basic concepts of STAR (Strategies for Trauma Awareness and Resilience) and apply it to the experience of military families, including:
- The effects of trauma on the body, mind, and spirit;
- Common responses to unhealed trauma;
- Recognizing the symptoms of Traumatic Brain Injury;
- New skills and strategies to chart a healing journey
In addition, participants will learn about the process of coming home:
- Stages veterans move through as they prepare for deployment and as they return;
- Battlement: Unlearning some aspects of basic training in order to re-acclimate to life with their families;
- The spiritual impact of war;
- Creating a specific plan to support veterans and military families;
- How to start working with veterans to record their stories or invite them to write their stories of combat and re-integration.
Veterans attend free but must register; general admission tickets are $27.37. Register here.